Over the past sixty years Off Off Broadway has grown into a vital artistic and economic sector of American theater. The League of Independent Theater is a 501(c) 6 non-profit advocacy organization for the creators and practitioners of Independent theater in New York City. The League was formed to protect and ensure the interests of those who work in this territory, and to unify the voice of all those working in independent theater in New York City.
Membership is 100% free. Bring your passion to helping keep this vital sector of theater alive. Join here:
What LIT Does
The League organizes working groups to generate solutions in the following areas:
- Unification: Communicate directly with the independent theater territory. Unify the large and diverse sector of independent theater artists and presenters, articulate their common concerns, and take action on their behalf.
- Communication: Ensure the flow of information within the organization and share it with the greater independent theater territory. Keep members informed of important events and create a sense of community within our various working groups.
- Political Research and Outreach: Develop and maintain relationships with arts-friendly elected officials in local, state and federal government. We have three PRO working groups: Brooklyn, Manhattan, and Queens.
- Real Estate: Work for the preservation and creation of affordable independent theater venues and rehearsal spaces, including lobbying for arts-friendly changes to the building and tax codes, and building proactive working relationships with real estate interests.
- Codes and Contracts: Negotiate for substantive and meaningful union codes and contracts with Actors’ Equity Association to respond to the 21st-Century needs of the indie theater territory.
- Green: Develop and promote sustainable practices for theater artists and companies to reduce environmental impact and decrease production costs for our members.
- Board of Directors: Ensure the League and its working groups are pursuing goals within the parameters stated in the by-laws, provide support and direction, and seek funding opportunities.
Your voice is important to us. Please join us and let us know your concerns on these issues and how you would like to be involved.
Mayor, City Council, and other citywide officials are running for re-election.
We want them to commit to support for the arts!
Opportunities to get involved
The calendar below shows some upcoming meetings and events, open to the public, where you can come and support the indie theater community.
If you're planning to attend, let us know!